Thread: A Wasted Effort
View Single Post
Old 06-11-2011, 11:52 AM
Super Moderator
Default A Wasted Effort

Some of you will remember this >

I guess it was a mistake. I found this poor little bike sitting outside, rusty and disused. When I asked my nephew what was wrong with it he said, "The chain came off." I asked if he ever adjusted the chain tension. "I don't know how." Why he didn't call me I don't know.

I then discovered that the engine is seized. I pulled the head off and the piston and cylinder walls look like they were worked over with an acetylene torch.

I asked him if he was mixing the fuel the way I showed him. "Sometimes, I think." Great! I drained some fuel from the tank. Yep, straight gasoline, no oil. I asked him why he didn't put oil in the gas. "I just forgot, I guess."

I didn't say a word, just loaded the bike into my truck and took it home. Now I have my work cut out for me. I'm going to rebuild the engine, clean the rust off and try to put the little guy back into shape.

What a shame. It was a beautiful little bike when I gave it to him. I guess I learned a lesson, or confirmed what I already knew. Motorbikes are not for everyone. Especially a kid who doesn't have any appreciation for mechanical things. I'll keep you posted. Oh, and he isn't getting it back. So much for Uncle Santa
Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"