View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 02:44 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: debunking myths about walmart bikes

Originally Posted by moonshiner View Post
another reason i buy bikes at wal mart .....

95% of the bikes and parts are made in china anyway ...

Where was my bike made? - The Bike Pedlar, Nashville, TN
Not quite. Note the article linked states:

The big picture is pretty clear: around 95% of the bikes sold in the U.S. are made in China or Taiwan by a handful of manufacturers......

There is a difference. Upthread I wrote:

Originally Posted by happyvalley View Post
Most of the old brands were bought up: Schwinn, Mongoose, Roadmaster by Pacific Cycle; Huffy by Russel Corp, etc, and the manufacturing shipped offshore to Taiwan and China. There is a difference between the Taiwanese made bikes and those fabbed in China though, the Taiwanese are much better welders and many might be surprised that the three main bike job shops in Taiwan make a lot of bikes for higher end American badges as well, not just the discount store trade.
The Taiwanese bike makers have been and still are simply much better welders.

Originally Posted by moonshiner View Post
walmart bikes use cheaper hardware but the same frame as a $1000+ felt , trek ,specialized bikes do
I think this is a bit misleading and not quite so. There are differences in QC standards and limited by price point on where the frames are made and who they are made for. For work that is offshored the higher end work is directed to the Taiwanese facilities and price points are met by the facilities in mainland China.