View Single Post
Old 05-30-2011, 06:36 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: debunking myths about walmart bikes

i have ridden bikes for 35 years , and rode all the great USA made huffy{Huffman } , Schwinn , Murray, Kent , western flyer ...etc .... Schwinn was the pinnacle in my day , every kid wanted a sting ray , and i remember all the trips to the local welder to have frames repaired all the time on all of them , believe it or not the new bikes that come from walmart with aluminum or chromoly frames in the $150 to $300 range are better than the bikes i grew up with, and i hate saying that , the only point i was trying to make was , that felt , trek ,specialized , Schwinn , and the rest , have their frames made by one company GIANT in china , walmart bikes use cheaper hardware but the same frame as a $1000+ felt , trek ,specialized bikes do , the $89 huffy from walmart is about the same quality as the USA huffy of 35 years ago , they were always cheap bikes , and marketed as such , the only real American bike left that's worth investing a grand in is a Worksman , i just can't make myself spend $800+ for a felt cruiser or any bike for that matter knowing that its made in china , one of these days i will save up my pennies and buy a custom order Worksman to put a ez motor bike tranny and a Honda engine on and call her done.
i generally take the long cut home