View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 01:34 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: debunking myths about walmart bikes

It's not the WalMart bike that has the problem - it's that the bike isn't being assembled by an actual bike shop. It's a box bike that's being assembled by someone who is also assembling patio furniture for display on the store's floor. I've heard too many horror stories in the last 11 years of avid bike riding. The most common is undertightened and stripped out bolts and bearings put in backwards.

As well, people think, "Oh, Schwinn - that's a good name." But it's not OLD Schwinn, it's China Schwinn, there is a difference. Compare a Grubee to a Harley, and that's the difference between new and old Schwinn.

Though, don't get me wrong - it's not like I have a supremely awesome bike, I'm on a thrift shop bike I picked up for 20 bucks. But, I also overhauled it day one, which I would recommend to anyone who were to do the same to either a thrift shop bike or a WalMart bike. When you're going down the street at 35, you don't want to be yelling in your head at some 16 year old kid making minimum wage at walmart when bearings in your wheel, stem or cranks blow out.

To summarize - it's not so much the quality of the bike, as the quality of work by those who are assembling the bikes at WalMart. At minimum, do a full inspection - given that you know what to look for. Though, if you know what to look for, then you'll have better peace of mind and a longer lasting bike doing a full teardown, and rebuilding from the ground up before you put a motor on it.