View Single Post
Old 05-29-2011, 12:57 AM
Resident Mad Scientist
Default Re: debunking myths about walmart bikes

Ya know, I worked for Walmart for years. I've handled most of those bikes. I know those companies produce different quality goods for Walmart than what you will find elsewhere. (Heaven help me, I still shop there sometimes.) But I won't outright say "Don't buy a Walmart bike". I will say instead "Know what you're getting and understand what you're about to do with it.

- A Walmart Schwinn is not of comparable quality with a Felt. That's life.

But a Walmart Schwinn can work for somebody who doesn't plan to ride across the whole nation on it. Maybe just around town, etc. As with many other things, tools of the trade, daily drivers, anything where the user grows more serious about what he uses - his tools or equipement get more serious in return.

A shadetree mechanic like myself can't afford Snap-on. Sears Craftsman is what I can manage and it works for me. Yes, I know it's not as good as Snap-on.

What we do to these bikes is not what they were built for. It doesn't matter who made your bike or where you bought it or how much you spent, if you are not mindful that each owner/rider has a responsibilty to himself and others to keep his ride safe. These aren't motorcycle frames here - they are bicycles. We are stessing them in different ways, and we must remain mindful of that. We must be prepared to fix what needs fixing.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"

Last edited by Allen_Wrench; 05-29-2011 at 01:00 AM.