View Single Post
Old 05-28-2011, 05:52 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: debunking myths about walmart bikes

Originally Posted by joabthebugman View Post
That same line has been given for years about Walmart, especially their guns. The same stories were told about the department store guns of the 60's and 70's.
To be short it simply is not true and is even a little ridiculous when you think about it for just a second

What name brand is going to risk their reputation by putting that name on substandard products?
You'd be amazed.
Wal-Mart has sub-standard products made by name-brand companies, just to sell at their stores. They have been doing it for years, and they do it with everything they can.

The story below concerns Snapper mowers refusing to do it, but mentions a few other brands (and competing big-box stores) that do it also-
The Man Who Said No to Wal-Mart | Fast Company

Do note--I didn't say Walmart bikes were useless; I have even bought one as a project bike. I warn only that the $100 Schwinn adult bike at walmart is not as good a quality as the lowest-priced $300 Schwinn adult bike that the real bike shop sells. Part of the agreement that the name-brand companies usually make to their independent dealers is that the big-box retailers will never be allowed to sell anything that is not a lower-quality than the cheapest models that the dealers sell. The guy at the bike shop that sells Schwinn will tell you that. The guy at the lawn mower dealer will say the same thing about the same-brand mowers that Lowe's or Home Depot sells.

Walmart is not evil or communist or whatever, but they use very-hard-driving business practices. Those have benefited customers in a few ways, but the flip side of that is that a name-brand product that you buy at Wal-Mart doesn't guarantee you're getting any level of quality.