View Single Post
Old 05-27-2011, 10:08 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Clutch Pucks upgraded anyone?

Originally Posted by Joaquin Suave View Post
The function of a clutch can be broken down to a few simple components...

The Friction material and its specific friction coefficent in cold and hot conditions.

The surface area of the contacting friction material to a hard surface.

The number of contacting surfaces.

And the force applied to the compress the friction materials to the hard surfaces.

Chances are that the modifications to the motors have pushed the torque of the motor beyond the clutches functional range...

Thus, the higher friction coeffecent materials wont be effective without greater applied force.

You guys might want to look for stronger springs!
No issue with getting stronger spring, but I just wanted to add that I have made up some pucks from an industrial friction material, the ones that Bairdco has are one of the sets I made and I had an engine that the clutch slipped in real bad when trying to start it and all I did was to put the pucks I made in it and more slippage I didnt even have to adjust the clutch spring tension on mine.

I will admit that if I had adjusted the spring tension it would have mad it engage even better but mine is just fine like it is without messing with the spring so far aftera few hundred miles.

A better friction material even under the same pressure will hold much better, it takes more pressure with a lesser material for the clutch to work without slipping, the pressure is important of coarse but some of these engine do put a lot of presure on the the stock pucks but after they get so hot that the material sorta crystalizes they just dont hold good anymore and when the better material is used they work fine undre that same pressure because the original pressure wasn't the problem, it was that the friction material was lacking the ability to grip the clutch plate.

I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!