View Single Post
Old 05-19-2011, 12:37 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Finally built it but one problem

Originally Posted by jerrydellg View Post
Thank you for all the advice guys. The carb fix I tried seems to have done the trick (the weedeaterfuel line thing). I'll tweak it with the air mix screw after I tackle the new problem. Damn near did some major damage when my tensioner almost gave way while I was testing the carb fix. I've read most of the threads on tbhis problem. I don't have access to anything but basic tools. A ryobi cordless is my most high end tool right now. I am mechanically inclined but I am new to this type of hobby. I enjoyed barelyawake's post about the tensioners but don't know what he was referring to when he mentioned horizontal dropouts. I'll drill the thing in place if that is the best solution but was thinking of removing it all together. Like I said I read the suggestions but I'm not clear as to why I can't remove it. It seems like the easiest/cheapest/least labor intensive solution but there were all those posts about people modifying the tensioners and not removing them. I assume they're is a reason for that other than the fact that thwe chain stretches over time and will need to be repeatedly shortened (links removed) without the tensioner. I mean the whole modification thing seems like a lot of work to go through if all you need to do is remove the cover over the motor sprocket & cut the chain to length. You would check the chains tension before every ride and might have to remove one more link eventually but....... I must be missing something. What don't I know about this that has everyone else using a tensioner and not cutting the chain to length?
did you read my post? hammering em out doesn't require very many tools at all, doesn't require drilling, and works quite well, because like i said, the metal gets worked into the shape of your frame.

i literally hit my idlers arm with a hammer before i put it all back together, to make sure it wouldn't move, didn't budge at all.