View Single Post
Old 05-18-2011, 10:08 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Clutch Pucks upgraded anyone?

The friction material is very hard to work with guys so if you order what is being suggested here, you better know what you are doing and have the right tools for the job or you will be spinning your wheels and waisting money on something you may not be able to use.

I said all this because since I have made some pucks from a type of industrial friction material I know first hand how hard it is to work with and I dont want any noobs running off to Mcmastercarr and ordering stuff they dont have the tools or know how to work with, it aint like making gaskets, that stuff is very very tough and will even dull the crap out a piece of D2 tool steel in no time flat.....

Just a warning to the noobs and those without much knowledge of friction material.....the KEY word her is FRICTION......this stuff is made to eliminate slippage and create massive amounts of friction so when it is cut with a steel die or lesser tools it creates a butt load of heat on the tool and wears it out very fast....... Tungsten carbide would be the best material to work with in making anything from the friction material IMHO.

I have wore out some pretty hard tooling already just making a few sets of pucks, it's a very costly my experience so far and very time consuming as well.

Thought I needed to put this out there so maybe someone might be saved soem time, money and grief if they dont understand what they are getting into with working with the friction materials.

I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!