Thread: Just starting.
View Single Post
Old 05-10-2011, 07:44 AM
Motorized Bicycle Member
Default Re: Just starting.

I siWhat's up Jason. I just started all this myself. About two weeks ago. This site has been really helpful. A little all-over-the place but the search engine they have can get you pretty specific answers. I was originally going to start my first build on a huffy cranbrook beach cruiser. It was suggested that I might want more braking power than the stock coaster brake. So instead of going through the hassle or expense of adding "v" brakes or disc brakes I simply traded up. I stayed with the cruiser style but went with a hybrid that came with hand brakes and 7 gears (schwinn clairmont). Didn't need or want the gears but I don't think they make a single gear beach cruiser with hand brakes. The best information I collected seems to be that you can mount one of these engine kits on about any bike depending on how much modification you're willing to do. They are intended to strap straight to the "diamond" type bike frame. Installing on my beach cruiser frame, for instance, which has on oversized, curved downtube requires a larger universal mounting bracket. No welding or anything fancy that I'm aware of. I'm still waiting on my engine kit from bike berry. I'll post more as the project progresses.