View Single Post
Old 05-09-2011, 05:10 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
Question Re: Aluminum Frame or Steel Frame?

... Ok, so here comes a dump question.. 1st, I understand the point of the out of round structual qualities of Aluminum vs steel compressing down on it with a different shape. But as in the picture of the nieghbor who knocked the structual integrity out of his frame [below]. These two reinforced female threaded holes shown in the picture. I'll bet just like my 4300 Trek, it has two more reinforced female threaded holes in the seat tube relevantly level with the first two shown in the picrure.

... Wouldn't it be a more structually sound to use these 4 point to create the fore and aft motor mounts? To add to this wouldn't it also be advantagous to create these front and rear mounts as a rubber sandwich both in fore and aft to subdue vibration problems?

... There is no reason why Aluminum can't be structually sound. The lightest of these materials we trust all the time to makes our longest points in travel. As these mountain bikes we are speaking of are indeed created in aircraft aluminum. I would even further go to ask how thick is this point of reinforced female threaded holes? Enough so to say, tap out a larger size threaded hole? Without loosing integrity?

... Just things that keep poping in there of passing thought's. These while scanning through Stock Drive Products-Sterling Instrument in attempting to find a high quality formulation of the point.