View Single Post
Old 08-17-2008, 09:03 PM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
Default Re: Hello, extreme newbie needing advice here!

Originally Posted by wichwitch View Post
Thank you for your replies everyone!
Several have suggested electric.
Thank you to Radmanfly for the link.
Does anyone have information on an electric motor that could be added to my bike? Is this even possible?
I could probably get away with a gas motor. I live in a large Dallas suburb, right next to DFW Airport in fact, and I don't think the police would mess with me. I have consulted 3 police officers (lots of them use the train too!), and they all seem to be of the opinion that Federal laws would apply to a 49cc motor, since there are no specific Texas laws in regards to a gas motor powered bicycle. But they also say it would be up to the mood and opinion of the officer were I to get stopped.
I don't wanna be an outlaw granny on a pink bike!!!
I have not ruled it out, but I would like be informed about both options.
Thank you so much!
Hi W/W,

I sent you that link to show you a bike that is considered state of the art that uses the newest electric motor/ battery technology and is "mass produced- even though one at a time". Heck, they even finance the purchase for you. They get pretty costly but maybe it's worth it to stay legal.

I have seen complete e-bikes pretty reasonable here and there , and

I know there are components and maybe even entire kits on ebay. I have seen the motor and mount kit but it was without battery and speed control.

Make sure you do your homework if you are considering buying one complete or putting one on your bike. Not to dissuade you, it's clear you have a skilled team behind you to help you with the build, it's just that I am not familiar with them and you may be disappointed unless you really study up on them. I know there are lots of complaints about battery longevity and range.

Food for thought.

Beachbikeron has some subaru/robin kits (rack mount type), check out his stuff. Very nice and reliable setup.