View Single Post
Old 04-17-2011, 08:29 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: futillity in motion or not

Originally Posted by The_Aleman View Post
That's not a tensioner, it's an idler. And you don't oil your chains? lol... Waiting for your 3k mile report.
Sorry but I'll have to disagree. Just because it isn't spring loaded doesn't mean it isn't a tensioner. That's the reason for the slotted mount. So it can be moved to increase the chain tension. Hence, it IS a tensioner.
Much has been written here about the pros and cons of this device. Is it needed, is it not? I'm not going to repeat what has been gone over too many times to count.
Whether you use one or not is irrelevant. What is important is chain alignment and tension. The other factors that dictate if the installation is successful is proper rear sprocket installation. It doesn't take a machined aluminum adapter to get it right either. The rag joints will work just fine IF installed correctly. That means NO wobbles. If the chain keeps coming off then look for improper chain path alignment, improper chain tension, a uncentered sprocket. Also the chain quality can come into play. If there is binding or twists to the chain it will cause problems. Replacing the kit supplied chain with an industrial grade #41 will usually solve the defective chain issues.

I'm also curious about what the OP means when he says, "The Jaguar frame is too small."
Too small for what?

Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"