View Single Post
Old 04-16-2011, 01:46 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: futillity in motion or not

In my experience the set up is the most important part leading to reliability, I have a bike that has almost 1000 miles on it, rag joint, original china 415 chain, completely stock engine and it's the straight plug engine that has the small 6mm head studs, the only mod is the exhaust.

a properly done tensioner and a properly aligned chain and it will work flawlessly for a long time, I honestly cant remember the last time I had a wrench on this bike and it takes me on 10-32 mile round trips with NO issues at will.

What you have Jim C is a set up problem not a parts or bike problem, now I have found that some of these kits do come with better heavier chains than others and I did have a chain issue with another kit that came with a very junky lose "415" 1/2" X 3/16" chain, I could almost tie it in a knot is was such a piece -a- crap! So the advice on a higher quality chain is very good advice, I've probably just ben real fortunate to get a couple good chains in my BGF - (BIG MOUNT) kits and the other standard 6mm stud engine and at least 2/3 of the miles I have on mine are on very dusty rough dirt roads, very little smooth pave ment riding in that almost 1000 miles.

I also NEVER OIL my chains period.......oil-dirt-chain is a bad combo... I use Liquid Wrench Dry Film Lube which leaves a "Ceflon" ( Teflon ) film, this is all I use and my chains hold up well, riding on the dirt like I do this lube is a must for me, oil is ok if only pavement riding is done but personally I still wouldn't oil mine, I would still use the dry lube or maybe chain wax.

My advise would be to take BiMoPed's advice and take it over to him, and I'll better he will have you up and running ----- RELIABLY ----- in no time at all.

Good luck, Happy riding---&---Peace!
I dont always ride WOT, but when I do..I do my best to keep the rubber side down..Ride safely my friends!