View Single Post
Old 03-16-2011, 05:00 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: NEW i am planning on building a bike but NEED some advice

Shop around for a kit. You might luck into a cheap kit on eBay, but if anything needs warranty service, you might be stuck. The vendors who advertise in the sidebars here may be more expensive than eBay, but they tend to be more dependable, too.

Walmart is a good place to buy cheap cruiser bikes. Target, Toys R Us, Sears - all the department stores are good places to look, but from what I've seen, Walmart is usually lowest on them. The Huffy Cranbrook from there is a common first build platform. Another place to look is craigslist and resale shops. You might find a comparable bike cheaper, or a better bike for about the same price as a new Cranbrook.

You will have to modify things during this project, and you will run into problems. It's the nature of the beast. But you won't need to weld anything. I don't have a welder, either, and I'm plenty satisfied with what I've put together so far.

If the bicycle costs $100, and the kit costs $175, and say $50 for random tools and incidentals (you'll want a u-bolt front mount if the kit doesn't come with one, for example), and you're at $325.
When asking for advice, you did not specify whether you wanted only good advice.

Get on the member map