View Single Post
Old 03-06-2011, 06:06 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Something new and kinda sorta 100 years old looking

Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Just a thought on the air filter breather deal. Maybe some variation on the gas filter I made for my Worksman Indian build last summer would work. I used one inch copper pipe and fittings, drilled holes in the end caps for copper tubing soldered in place and compression fittings on the tubing. Inside is stainless steel wool crammed in there from one end to the other. I haven't ridden that bike much, but so far so good. It would breathe and have an old time look in keeping with the rest of your build. You'd want different sized tubing and compression fittings. I don't know...
Looking forward to seeing that steam baby in motion one of these days...
Now ain't that a perfect steam bike piece or what? So, maybe a pair of 1" end caps and a really short piece of pipe between them, one end soldered, the other a nice snug fit due to the pipe section being enlarged slightly. Drill some breather holes in the end that slips on and a solder joint/fitting arrangement on the other end that leads to the intake. Put some sort of filtering stuff inside.

Originally Posted by corgi1 View Post
The air filter reference was to show that air passing through a larger opening (All the way around the edge of the inside of the air filter)is slower and the oil spray can be traveling slower also and won't shoot past the mesh
Sorry ... couldn't help but meander off on some foggy memory lane ... there have been a lot of oil bath air cleaners in my past ...

Last edited by fishguts; 03-06-2011 at 06:09 PM.