View Single Post
Old 02-28-2011, 04:21 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Tinsmith's in frame gas tank for cantilever Schwinn.

LS, If you want to try to make a tank out of tin electroplate (the shiny stuff) a 100 watt electric iron will work. The copper will take alot more heat. The old style soldering coppers will work fine with practice and you have to use a propane source to get them up to temperature. The electric one I use is 350 watts and they are pricey of you buy a new one. Probably around $200. The cost of the tin electroplate shouldn't be that much. I haven't bought any in many years and of course when I had a working shop I bought it in large quantities. I would think you could get a sheet (20"x28") for under $10, but you'll have to find a supplier to sell it by the sheet. There is some real poor quality stuff available at some of the craft stores, but I wouldn't go there. I'll see if I can find a source. The copper will be more . You might be able to get some at a roofing shop. They may have some drops that aren't large enough for a project they might sell you. If you do that, make sure you know how much you need before you go there. Dan