View Single Post
Old 02-26-2011, 07:49 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: New tank inspired by Silverbear and Tinsmith

Tim, Wonderful work Bud. SB and I spent a good part of today in my old shop bending up metal again. He's making his first tin tank for the cantilever frame and I'm putting one together out of copper. Although the pattern work is done for this particular tank and it's much simpler than what you are doing, you are correct about the amount of time it takes, and you and I have most of the equipment and experience to do this. Like you, it'll get done one way or the other, but it's slow. The goal here was to see if it can be done with simple tools that most guys could get their hands on, and the more we work on it, the more it seems unlikely to me. You can cobbble up a homemade brake and buy a soldering iron or torch, but as you have found, getting the thing fitted together just to begin soldering is a great challenge. That's why we have stayed with the flat sided tank for this build. It's not as pleasing to the eye, but easier to assemble. Anyway, I'm sure SB will have a few pics and descriptions of what took place today. We didn't get as far as I thought we would, but we have fun, and he does good for a "real old" guy. Keep at it, your doing a good job. Dan