View Single Post
Old 02-25-2011, 07:51 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Something new and kinda sorta 100 years old looking

Originally Posted by happycheapskate View Post
Is the carburetor for looks or oil distribution, or just a place to mount a filter for air? I don't understand, yes I'm scratching my head.

What kind of carb is it, and could it work on a gas 50cc happytime?
I doubt it would be much good on a 50cc since it came off a 25cc chainsaw. Someone on here suggested it when I was pondering how to distribute oil to the crankcase. It has adjustable jets so, theoretically, I can crank them open and it will spray oil into the case. This means oily vapor will exhaust with the spent steam, but I don't know yet if that will amount to enough to be concerned about. Alternately, I have a fill plug in the top of the case and a drain plug in the bottom so I can run a wet crank. I actually plan to do both at first because I'm not sure the carb oiler will work at all. If it does, I can rely on it more than keeping oil in the case. This is purely experimental - possibly the first two-stroke with oil reserve in the case. Steam engines are known for blowing water past the rings, so I expect water to be in there, too. That's why the drain plug has a bleeder in it, allowing me to drain water off.