View Single Post
Old 02-21-2011, 08:38 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Greeting from dynamic downtown Dickinson, Texas

Originally Posted by Blank Check View Post

Well, Dickinson is between Houston and Galveston on I-45...its a NASA bedroom community.

To everyone: I've been hanging around the Texas Laws area of the forum and now I know why there are so very few (I've never even seen one in person) motorized bicycles here. I'm not so sure, now, that this is a project that I want to pursue after reading all that. Our government...I just don't know. Seems I may as well just get a motorcycle license and buy a suzuki.
I was thinking the same as you last year before I started riding my motor bicycle around Dallas. Back then I called my local police and ask about the legality's of a motor bicycle. They told me they were illegal anywhere on the street or sidewalk. I then ask what law I would be breaking if I rode it on the street. After passing me around to 3 different officers with no answer, I was given voice mail to leave a message. Nobody ever called me back so I decided they didn't know what they were talking about. Now it's 5 months, and 500 street and sidewalk miles later. I've ridden night and day in Dallas, Farmers Branch, Addison, Carrollton, Richardson, Garland, Highland Park, University Park, Irving, SMU, and UTD Dallas. In this time I've seen many patrol cars. Often I head straight for them to make sure they get a good look. In this time I haven't had one single problem. As a matter of fact it's hard for me to even get their attention at all. I have been waved at by police officers in Farmers Branch, and Addison one time each. That's it. My motor bicycle does have a headlight, tail light and mirror. I do wear a bicycle helmet whenever I ride. I am 54 yrs young. This has been my experience so far, and it's seems common to others in Texas.