View Single Post
Old 02-08-2011, 07:04 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: Tinsmith's in frame gas tank for cantilever Schwinn.

And I'm enjoying sharing this with everyone as a kind of observer and reporter of what Dan is up to. You and I are learning together at the same time. I'm looking forward to next Saturday and know that we'll be much further along at day's end. And I'm guessing that both tanks #1 and #2 will be done with a better idea of how to go about making a tin version and a good start on knowing how to approach the copper tank. Can't wait to try that burring machine myself. Fasteddy & BBB, you guys were lucky to have been exposed to some tin work while school boys. Baird, I've used a big electric iron for stained glass work years ago, but have also been using a propane torch for the V8 tanks. I'm anxious to try using one of the old copper irons for soldering tin and copper. I'll take some pictures of some of Dan's old ones next Saturday.
By the way, after soldering on tank #1 last Saturday, Dan washed off the residual flux with a combination of baking soda and water. The baking soda neutralized the corrosive effect of the acidic flux which would lead to rust if allowed to stay there. So even if you're doing a V8 tank, clean the tin with baking soda and water when you're done or rust will follow eventually. Something I learned from the Tinsmith and thought I'd pass along...
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...