View Single Post
Old 02-07-2011, 07:03 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Tinsmith's in frame gas tank for cantilever Schwinn.

Just saw that SB is at it again. This forum is fortunate to have many of you who, like SB, have skills and talents to share with the rest of us. What SB is showing is a first attempt to build this tank, so you are going to see the good with the bad. I think when we work through this first try it might be easier to come up with a consolidated step by step approach. SB is a "quick study" and for someone of his "advanced age" on top of it. So far he is doing a great job of describing what we are trying to do. There really is no definitive plan, but it soes look doable. The one machine SB called a brake is in fact called that. The one in the picture is a "finger" brake or box and pan brake. The other machine he showed is a barfold. It essentially does the same thing as the brake only on a smaller more presise scale. It acutally has a depth guage which can be dialed in to fold an edge up to 1" deep on a straight piece of tin. Unfortunately on this tank the are not many straight edges. As SB said most folks don't have access to these machines, but I think when we work through this thing I can show how a lot of it can be done by improvising. I'm not sure the tinplate metal is readily available in small quantities, but sheet copper should work. The difference with the copper I think will be the amount of heat required to solder. The 100 watt iron I am using on this project will not be enough as the copper sucks the heat away faster than the iron can keep up. But we'll get to that later. I think Bairdco talked about forming the copper and had some good success with it. I don't know if he used a torch or iron to solder. I have the old soldering coppers used for soldering and a big 250watt iron. I am not much on soldering sheet copper with a propane torch. When we get a working model of this tank, I hope to try to walk SB through it and see if he can do it. So far the only problem I see is the machine I use to turn the flange on all the curved edges. (burring machine) If a tank is needed with straight profiles I think we can show how it can be formed with minimal tooling. The only other factor is the level of hand skill necessary, that's what we'll see when SB gives it a shot. If we are able to get together this coming weekend for a few hours we might be able to finish our first attempt and go from there. Thanks, SB for taking the time to explain this and hope it helps some of you with gas tank ideas. Maybe it will encourage someone to obtain the few machines necessary and try to go into small scale production. Dan