View Single Post
Old 01-26-2011, 05:25 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Tinsmith's in frame gas tank for cantilever Schwinn.

While I don't "splain" things as well as many of you SB is correct. Jose is correct that since the top, end and bottom are straight cuts I can bend the flang in a barfold easily. But since there isn't a straight profile to this tank, when those pieces are shaped to fit the side profile they will get pretty funky with all the stretching and compression. They can be hammered and worked out but I don't think they will finish out as nicely as the way we are attempting. Like SB says, we're just gonna see where this goes and make changes as needed. It's not rocket science but the metal will show us what will and won't work. If it works out the first time I'll be peasantly suprised. Hopefully we can come up with something that will be helpful to others. We won't be at it this weekend, but plan on the next weekend. Maybe we can get all the parts made and tacked together to see how it will fit. Then we'll have to see how well we can keep it tight together while it is soldered. Then we can go for broke. Dan