View Single Post
Old 08-03-2008, 11:36 AM
Motorized Bicycle Newbie
Default Re: Are friends electric?

Originally Posted by eDJ View Post
Greetings Sparky,

I have a project on the drawing board to use an electric front wheel motor for my next build. It will be interesting to learn from your experience and read your progress post from the UK. I'm especially interesting to learn about batteries
and the recharging nature of the batteries used in this application. If someone had a small enough generator to carry onboard, could the batteries be charged while under way ?

When you have your project complete and are satisfied it may be interesting to write it up in the BBC H2G2 project.

These are questions I've been pondering.

A 50 mile range would be optimal. I do intend to research and to spend seriously on batteries. Hub centre dynamos will be used to take advantage of declines and solar for what it's worth. we are considering a lightweight trailer that could take extra batteries.
I thought of a 33cc charging engine running a dynamo but Hairy, my engineer friend said the output would be negligible. If it came to that, I would be better off putting my 2000watt Honda suitcase generator on the trailer (which has not been ruled out).