View Single Post
Old 01-20-2011, 11:23 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: WOW ! I thought I was on my own...

Originally Posted by dougy View Post
Says it all really SB !
Am I right in thinking that in America you can fit an engine in a bike and off you go ?
No simple answer to that one as each state has its own laws. My understanding is that most states draw a line at 50cc, 30 mph and require a Department of Transportation approved motorcycle type of helmet. From there it gets hazy and sometimes crazy. Connecticut allows up to 5 hsp, I believe, and some states are not at all motor bicycle friendly. We're better off than Canada which now has a national ban on gas motored bicycles, although some provinces are less anal about enforcement. This is in a country with 4 million chainsaws running at any given time, snowmobiles galore and where you can ride around all day in your Hummer gas guzzler. Go figure.
I personally avoid police and when I can't I ride as if I have a total right to be on the road. Along with that right is the responsibility to ride safely and obey the laws. Police wave to me when I wave to them. Being an old guy probably helps. I think most police are not too sure whether we are legal or not, so unless you're drawing attention to yourself by speeding, not stopping at stop signs and that sort of thing I find they look the other way. I live part of the year in Maryland and part in Minnesota where in both states motored bikes are legal up to 50 cc. Only one of my bikes is 50CC. The one I ride most is 79 CC four stroke although it isn't marked as such anywhere on the engine. So technically I'm breaking the law on that one. Big criminal.
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...