View Single Post
Old 07-31-2008, 12:23 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: mnt bike vs cruiser...

Originally Posted by Ima Schwinner View Post
How is everyone solving the braking issues with a Cruiser? It seems like most cruisers only come with a coaster brake. I'm giving the Felt cruisers a very hard look, and love the fact that they come standard with 12ga spokes and lots of style. If I install a Sturmey-Archer front drum, I've just added more money to already primo bike, and thrown away the first set of perfectly good spokes.

I'm also a little bummed that some of the nicest looking cruisers come with 3" wheels, and I don't think they'll work with the GEBE drive ring.

I've even thought about buying just a Felt frame, then ordering a set of Worksman wheels complete with drum brakes. I guess I could always buy a complete Felt bike and just set the factory wheels aside and install Worksmans.
Is there an "easy route" that I'm missing here?
If you are interested in a cruiser that only has a coaster break, you can install front and rear brakes and connect them to a dual brake lever like below. They are $10.99 on Amazon. This will free up space on the handle bars but some fine tuning will have to be done to ensure that the brakes work properly.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 3104X3Y9FRL__SS500_.jpg (11.1 KB, 31 views)

There is no moment like the now moment.