View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 12:49 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: uh-oh with gasket maker...?

The chrome plated intakes can be problematic when it comes to getting a good seal. I recommend a good sanding to 'kill the gloss' and rough up the surface so whatever sealant you choose can get a 'bite' . I like to use plumber's sand cloth and I prefer the open weave type. It comes on a roll and is about an inch wide. It has an aggressive abrasive that will rough up the chrome surface. As for the carburetor, another plumber's tool works well to clean and rough up the inside of the carb throat where it attaches to the intake. These are called 'fitting brushes' they come in sizes corrosponding to copper tube sizes (1/4, 3/8, 1/2" etc.) They are round, stiff bristled wire brushes made for dressing the inside of copper fittings prior to soldering. A 5/8 or 3/4 brush will fit the carburetor throat. Warning: Clean stuff after sanding; carb and manifold.
As for ease of disassembly and Seal-All. Like Geoff said, it is a 'glue' of sorts and holds well but I've found a quick firm twist will break the seal and allow disassembly without resorting to some kind of nasty solvent to break the grip. He is also correct about the resistance to certain government mandated additives to gasoline. The alcohol has proven to be the bain of classic car owners for several years now. It will eventually attack rubber fuel lines, fuel pump diaphrams and carburetor parts that were made for use with gasoline, not alcohol. It will be interesting to see if/when manufacturers of products like Permatex and Seal-All will address the alky problem. As yet I've only seen fuel line (hose) and fuel system parts for late madel cars available at most auto parts stores. Everything else is still 'gasoline compatible' with no mention of alcohol.
Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"