View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 06:16 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Smile Re: how often do you pedal? Tips on pedaling..

I pretty much built with the intention of having a pedal option as close as I could get to a decent road bike. In fact I chose a 7 speed cruiser with the intent of having some pedal assist.

I don't do that much though.

What I've found with time is that I like to kill the motor when I'm going to get caught at a light- anticipation also helps avoid the light- if you slow down you can coast through more of them if you anticipate. But when I know I'm going to have to stop I kill the motor as soon as possible- I stay in a light gear to get the motor going again, and I'm gone. This saves a lot of gas and keeps the motor cooler. It's more discrete, there's more people around the intersection including the other cars stopped there.

the bike rolls so great! In fact I've used narrow tires to that end. I can easily coast two city blocks from not even near full speed. If I want to use the derailleur, I can put it in a bigger gear and coming down from speed, I can pedal again for a half mile with very little effort.

I usually ride to get somewhere- the grocery or to Starbucks- I always kill the motor before I get to the parking lot- in fact I close the petcock 2 or 3 blocks awy to run the fuel out of the line- that keeps the drips away. No one is disturbed by the motor at the store lot.

here's my bike with a 27 inch wheel on the front and a 26 x 1.75 tire on the back- like I said it rolls great. I have a 27 I may put on the rear, but first I'm going to finish this Huffy cruiser build with 700 C x 28 mm tires and the sprocket directly bolted to the flip/flop hub- I'll see if i like the light wheels on both ends and then decide for the 7 speed..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg micargi.jpg (217.5 KB, 84 views)