View Single Post
Old 11-09-2010, 06:12 PM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: Build Off (Amateur)

I was involved in the Rustoration buildoff last winter and had a lot of fun with it. It was limited to old bikes and was something that just kind of happened as there were three of us at the same time working on old bikes. It didn't start off as a contest and never was one. There was no 'winner' although I'd say we all three ended up with cool bikes, learned a lot and had a great time. In that sense we were all winners, with no hard feelings, a lot of mutual support and what has turned out to be lasting friendships. None of us had a lot of money, none of us had shops to work in or great tools.
I understand what you're saying about it not just being the best builders with big budgets making eye candy with apparent ease in great shops. On the other hand keeping it at the bottom of the money scale limits things a whole lot. I don't know how you do it to include everybody at any skill level with any budget. BarelyAwake, Bairdco and I already knew each other and had a common interest is rusty old cruisers. Anyway, if you can do it so that it is fun I think that's the main thing unless it is a competition of the best with a voted on 'winner'. I don't think the two mix. Good luck.
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...