View Single Post
Old 11-06-2010, 04:00 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: Good Cruiser Frames for 4 strokes

I would agree that the old Schwinn cantilever frame is a good choice for a 4 stroke. I did a HS engine Qmatic recently in a 1950 straightbar Schwinn and while it looks perfect, especially with one of sportscarpat's in frame gas tanks, there was barely enough vertical room to make it fit in there (which is one reason it looks good). It required not only an extra wide pedal crank with an extra small chain ring, but I also had to do a bit of bending to the pedal crank. Was it worth it? Oh yes. A better choice in frames is the old cantilever which is also a very strong and well made frame, but it has more room. You will still need the extra wide pedal crank, but no change in sprocket or bending of pedal arms is needed as it plugs right in there and yet fills up the frame nicely. It looks good with the motor and transmission and is a pretty straight forward no hassle build. Over a bazillion of these frames were made, so finding one is not real difficult. Front brakes are more limited. You can go with a springer front fork from Venice Bikes which has a disc brake set up as an option, go with a drum front wheel by Worksman or Husky or as a minimum a caliper brake adapter made by Schwinn back when and still available on ebay. I'm making up a front cantilever V brake setup on my 51 Schwinn cantilever springer forked build in process which is getting the Greyhound motor. I find a coaster brake in back is adequate providing it is a good heavy duty wheel in the first place. I don't race and am interested in a solid and comfortable cruiser with classic styling. If you look on the current thread for the EZM buildoff there are photos there of my Motorbike build along with some others getting the 4 stroke and should give you some ideas of what things look like. Given your preferences, Scotto's suggestions sound like a good fit for you. I know nothing of aluminum framed bikes. Whatever you pick, it's good that you're looking ahead and making a plan.
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...