View Single Post
Old 11-05-2010, 08:46 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: new cruiser build

Originally Posted by darkhawk22 View Post
Do you happen to have a drawing or some dimensions on the tank that would help us out? We might be able to find local guys that could weld them up for us. Thanks!
I'd suggest cutting some pieces of poster board to the shape of your tank and taping them together into the shape and dimension you want. Fit and trim. Then you'll have your dimensions for each piece and will know it is going to fit your particular bike. You may be surprised at what it will cost to have someone weld one up for you. There's a lot of work and skill involved. I'm thinking to make one for my old Schwinn this winter out of copper, a project I know will not be cheap even for materials alone and which will also be time consuming. But an in frame tank looks so nice. There are so many cantilever framed bikes out there that it would be good if someone tooled things up and produced them by machine. Probably not gonna happen, but it would be nice to just order one.
But if everybody had one they wouldn't be special anymore, would they? One reason the aluminum tank of this thread is so eye catching is that it is CUSTOM and was made by hand. Very cool.
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...