View Single Post
Old 11-01-2010, 11:32 PM
Motorized Bicycle Member
Default Re: First build - '72 Indian Racer

Thanks everyone for the kind words.

I tried keeping the cost low & was doing a pretty good job up until the point when I decided to go with a vintage Indian tank. I scored it for 60 bucks on ebay but after sandblasting, relining, body & paint, it was more than expected, about $500 for the tank alone. As Murphy’s Law would have it, I spotted the exact tank, NOS never used mint on ebay buy-it-now for $200. I argue that at least mine has the original Indian petcock & cap, and the lacquer black paint beat out the NOS Indian decal I had found for it.

Regarding the tachometer, it is actually a pressure gauge manufactured by Marshalltown Gauges in Iowa, USA. A few years ago the company merged & became Marsh. The gauge has no function other than cool looks & letting me know how much my front end is vibrating without any shocks C&H Surplus is Disney Land for gadget / gauge guys….buckets full of parts from the last century; they may have an online catalogue. This gauge has no glass face & a white satin finish 0-15. The owner couldn’t wait to give it away for 5 bucks with the brass hardware & in original box. I found a black ‘7’ bracket & attached it to the bottom of the Indian rearview bracket to make it appear to be one part. Glad you liked it!

Thanks again!

“Born to be Mild”
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Tach.jpg (204.0 KB, 130 views)