View Single Post
Old 10-29-2010, 12:15 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Notice: Mopeds Forum open discussion For & Against

I think it would be good to have a discussion about the differences between mopeds and motor bicycles. Moped is a generic term for motorcycle. In some states a moped is required to be registered and licensed like any motorcycle. Many vehicles that are classified as mopeds don't have peddles. Having peddles is an important quality. Without peddles there's no question a vehicle is a self propelled vehicle. That automatically makes it a motor vehicle in most states, because in most states only self propelled vehicles can be considered motor vehicles. Even though we all might call a vehicle like a motor bicycle a moped, strict interpretation of the law might be different from what we think.

I think you can see where I'm going with this. If the law says a motor vehicle is defined as being self propelled, but you have to peddle it up to speed before the motor can take over then it's not going to be considered a motor vehicle. That's an important distinction for motor bicycles.

Think about it like this, if you had to get out of your car at every stop sign and push it up to 6 or 7 mph before you can let the clutch out so the engine can drive the car, do you consider that car self propelled?