Thread: Mount bet
View Single Post
Old 10-27-2010, 02:10 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Mount bet

The compound that a hockey puck is made from is hard enough to keep things from moving. I use a very hard urethane bushing in my front mounts too. The material composition is so hard that you can't compress it or even make a mark in it with a screwdriver. This is the difference between rubber and pucks or urethane bushings. Rubber, or ANY soft material will cause problems. This has been explored and explained here time after time. The reason is that you CAN NOT eliminate the vibrations produced by the engine. All you can do is distribute it. You CAN NOT isolate it to the engine itself because the mounting fasteners are then the link between bike and engine and they can't take the stress. Either the fasteners will eventually fail or the threads in the case will. My bet is that if the hockey puck or my urethane bushings were replaced with metal that the degree of vibrations felt in the bike would be the same. This myth of soft mounting engines to "eliminate vibrations" is my pet peeve, just as cheap bikes are to Bairdco.
I'm inclined to simply post my opinion once then back away and let people do what makes them happy but the problem with that approach is that newbies then will not have the benefit of the facts and will soft mount their engines because the theory sounds right. Then they'll have failures and problems that can be directly linked to the resiliant mounting of the engine. I really hate to see a new guy have problems that keep him from enjoying the hobby and his bike and therefore I will continue to argue this issue with anyone who says that soft mounting a Chinese 2 stroke is the way to go.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Front Mount, 4, Copy.jpg (147.6 KB, 39 views)
Age and Treachery Will Always Triumph
Over Youth and Skill & "Charlie Don't Ride"

Last edited by 2door; 10-27-2010 at 02:20 PM.