View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 10:39 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default re: Pittsburgh Stolen Schwinn Collegiate (recovered!) - Help from Pee-wee Herman

Bikes are becoming very popular in the pittsburgh area, and vintage stuff is becoming recognized as valuable. We just started getting bike lanes, and ironically I live very close to the Bike PGH organization that tries to combat stuff like this. I guess this is just the way it is.

What is disconcerting is that they must have staked me out. The bike was on the porch that hangs off the side of my house. I live on a busy street. The cut was very clean on the lock, and nothing was disturbed. Just the vacancy. Not sure my dog even noticed. So I'm still shocked. I'm still trying to get the word out on all channels.

Assuming they keep the bike as is and actually figured out how to ride it, well that would be one very recognizable bike. And this is a small city. I hate to think they'll do the classic idiot move, try to put gas with no oil in there and kill the engine.

Maybe they are going to try to ditch the engine and sell it as a vintage bike, it still seems a bit hard to flip. And the fenders aren't on, the chainguard is off, and there's a repop springer on the front.

Worst thought is that they don't appreciate what it is at all, and they'll just rip it apart.

I was really looking forward to removing the stock gas tank, switching to Pat's beauty tank, putting the chrome fenders back on, polishing everything up and removing all the build grease. Getting an SBP expansion. Didn't get to finish the build... I was close.

Thanks though guys for all the good sentiments, this is a great place.