View Single Post
Old 09-17-2010, 12:12 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Something new and kinda sorta 100 years old looking

Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Interesting writeup on the ebay auction and worth reading... seller inherited three garages loaded with boxes of antique auto parts, autos, black-smithing stuff. Pretty amazing list of car manufacturers represented. There were so many in the early days, just like it was with motorcycles in the beginning... and now our choices are so limited. Nice score on the lamps.

It does sound interesting ... but I've heard so many of these "hidden treasure" stories over the years that I've become pretty skeptical! It could just be a guy with some dusty parts in a couple cardboard boxes in his basement who likes having some attention.

I'm far from being an expert on any of this but do know some of these parts are fairly common and thus, not terribly expensive. Dietz lamps come to mind since the same part might end up on a variety of cars. That makes it easy for someone to say they have parts for "Cadillac, Packard, Peerless, Pierce-Arrow, etc." It's like that with old boats, too. If you search for Chris-Craft parts on Ebay you'll get a ton of stuff that might have been on a Chris-Craft but more likely was on some boat of lesser-fame. Same part, just a more humble origin.