View Single Post
Old 01-16-2008, 05:31 PM
minor bike philosopher
Default Re: take a tip...leave a tip

since we are sharing tips.... this probably isn't for everyone but...

I bought a 20" kids bike for the wheels to make a trailer. At the same time I was having trouble with one of my big bikes. The pedals were just to high on the upstroke. It was very uncomfortable and it was my first bike in forty years so I was still relearning how to do things. My balance was terrible at the time and the discomfort was worrisome.

Anyway, I switched out the crank and pedal sets. Low and behold the pedals were low enough to actually be comfortable. Yes I had to shorten the chain a few links but it gave me a great big unexpected advantage as well. I put this on on electric bike at first and it make the hills easier to climb. I had a smaller front gear so it pedaled easier. I moved that crank set to my 24 kit bike now. Today I realize that it makes starting off from a stop sign on a hill a heck of a lot easier. Since all I really use the pedals for is to start off and to assist on steep hills right now, the smaller sprocket makes no difference and the pedal throw is much more comfortable.

Like I said not for everyone but it might be something to think about if you have a kids bike around. Might only work on cruisers though.