View Single Post
Old 08-24-2010, 08:56 AM
Default Re: A new shift concept for the engineers....

Originally Posted by bowljoman View Post
1) buy a fixed gear 3-speed.

2) attached sprocket to hub body.

3) install 22 tooth fixed gear cog.

4) mount.

5) ride.

SO everyone does realize that the s3x does not freewheel with a cog? And the cog does not un-thread when you drive it backwards? the s3x will drive on the left side and shift!

Maybe that's what some of you are over looking. 'fixed gear' bicycles do not free-wheel. The s3x is a fixed gear three speed.

Do you have an extra hub?

If you're right and this hub will shift while spinning in reverse...the only thing left to do is make a larger sprocket. I would be very interested to know if this really works! If you have an extra, try it and see if you get three ratios when spinning it backwards.

A lot of torque is required to bump start the engine...I doubt the hub will hold up...but it would be worth a try.

I looked into using a heavy duty SRAM internal 3-speed over a year ago for the spoiler build I was working on. It was going to be set-up on a bracket behind the seat post. While playing around with it, I found out that due to the planetary set it would not work in reverse. It was always driving 1:1 no matter which gear was selected. I didn't want to jackshaft to the other side...too many chains...too messy. The customer decided to go with a Morini anyway so it wasn't necessary to set it up with the ability to shift.

Let us know if it will shift in reverse...if it does, i'll buy one and try it.