Thread: Fuel filters
View Single Post
Old 08-23-2010, 03:34 PM
Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Wink Re: Fuel filters

Originally Posted by 2door View Post
Just to clarify...yes, it might measure about 3/8" in diameter but the actual pipe size is 1/8" pipe. Screw pipe sizes are notoriously wrong. I don't know where they started but take any NPT (National Pipe Thread) pipe/thread, inside diameter or outside diameter and you will not be able to measure the size...anywhere. Go to the hardware store and ask to see a 3/8" pipe nipple/fitting. It will actually measure close to 1/2" O.D. and well over 3/8" I.D. Some will say that 1/8" pipe is 1/8" I.D...Not so, just measure it. Same for 1/4, 3/8, 1/2 and on up. I stand by my earlier post in that the kit supplied tanks/petcocks have a metric machine thread,(about 3/8" in outside diameter) not a tapered pipe thread and therefore rely on a gasket to seal.That's why they put the little red gasket in the kits, to seal the petcock against the tank fitting. Tapered pipe threads seal by tightening the tapers together. Not trying to be argumentative, sir, just stating facts.
As for getting 3/16" tubing on the barbs...heck, if you can get it on, more the better. The smaller tubing would probably look cleaner than the fat stuff.
No quarrel here bro, you are 100% correct on this issue. And even though they are not pipe threads, I still use several wraps of teflon tape to help seal and get the petcock in a desired position. I used too be a plumber btw, so I understand what you are talking about.....cheers.
EZ Motorbike Dealer - San Diego, CA.
Nothing is out of my realm,
if it doesn't fit, make it fit! Beer is the answer....what was the question?
A sense of humor costs nothing, why don't people use them more often?
"You can't buy have to earn it"