View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 12:50 AM
Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Wink Re: Strengenthing my new cruiser

Originally Posted by Chalo View Post
2010 models? Probably true. But just about any pre-1992 MTB will be a categorically better candidate for conversion than a curved-tube cruiser.

By the same token, an old straight tube cruiser like a Univega Rover would be great, except for the lame brakes, and as long as the frame has headroom for the motor.

As for today's options, a Surly 1x1, Redline Monocog, or SE Stout would do the job reliably and economically. But they'd be no better than a twenty-year-old MTB and would cost more.

If you say so. I'm not here saying, "kwoozas suk", though; I'm telling you why cantilever frame cruisers have significant shortcomings compared to rigid MTBs, city bikes, and even road bikes when it comes to mounting things on the frames. Or braking. Or moving under pedal power.

Both those bikes are superior to the average cruiser in at least one regard. Neither one has a second top tube or cantilever stays to crowd the front triangle. And the black one has a straight down tube, which is better both structurally and for motor mounting than a curved tube-- but is not characteristic of cruisers in general. So assuming you were going to pick bent-tube bikes for your motorized bicycle conversions, you picked a couple of good ones.

Yet you swapped the forks of both of them for mountain bike units. Why? Because stock cruiser forks are inadequate for the job! They don't provide mountings for brakes that are strong enough to be safe at motorized speeds. That's a fixable problem, for sure-- but when another bike comes equipped that way to begin with, why choose the weaker, heavier, more difficult option and then have to swap the fork?

Since you insist on jacking this guys thread....I'll jump right back in...sorry Greenlake...
OK, your talking to an older guy (me) who raced Mountain Bikes for over ten years on the NORBA circuit ( over ten years )...teach me about the wonders of an MTB that I don't already know...pahleeease. Now then, both of my personal current builds are as you see, cheap Chinese aluminum framed cruisers, they're not superior to anything except your thinking. The black one cost $150 shipped, the blue one $119 from Toys-R-Us.....superior? The forks that came on both were as strong and beefy, not too mention as light as any non-suspended mtn. bike on the planet. Gee sorry, no they didn't have disc brake tabs welded on them...I like disc brakes.

Both of those bikes are as light and strong as any mountain bike you will ever build for the money. Yeah, maybe I got lucky with two cruiser builds that went together with nary a hitch....oh lucky me! So what is your point?????????? Let me guess.....bashing cruisers. I'm done here.
EZ Motorbike Dealer - San Diego, CA.
Nothing is out of my realm,
if it doesn't fit, make it fit! Beer is the answer....what was the question?
A sense of humor costs nothing, why don't people use them more often?
"You can't buy have to earn it"