View Single Post
Old 08-21-2010, 12:17 AM
Motorized Bicycle Senior Member
Default Re: Strengenthing my new cruiser

Originally Posted by scotto- View Post
Let's just say there are less mountain bikes suitable for motorizing than cruiser style bikes....does that sound right?
2010 models? Probably true. But just about any pre-1992 MTB will be a categorically better candidate for conversion than a curved-tube cruiser.

By the same token, an old straight tube cruiser like a Univega Rover would be great, except for the lame brakes, and as long as the frame has headroom for the motor.

As for today's options, a Surly 1x1, Redline Monocog, or SE Stout would do the job reliably and economically. But they'd be no better than a twenty-year-old MTB and would cost more.

Let's also say you are in the Cruiser forum bad mouthing cruisers....would that be correct?
If you say so. I'm not here saying, "kwoozas suk", though; I'm telling you why cantilever frame cruisers have significant shortcomings compared to rigid MTBs, city bikes, and even road bikes when it comes to mounting things on the frames. Or braking. Or moving under pedal power.

And just so you know, black 4-stroke $550 all brand 2-stroke $250 all brand new and both bikes are lighter and stronger than MOST! $20 used Surley forks on bahhh.
Both those bikes are superior to the average cruiser in at least one regard. Neither one has a second top tube or cantilever stays to crowd the front triangle. And the black one has a straight down tube, which is better both structurally and for motor mounting than a curved tube-- but is not characteristic of cruisers in general. So assuming you were going to pick bent-tube bikes for your motorized bicycle conversions, you picked a couple of good ones.

Yet you swapped the forks of both of them for mountain bike units. Why? Because stock cruiser forks are inadequate for the job! They don't provide mountings for brakes that are strong enough to be safe at motorized speeds. That's a fixable problem, for sure-- but when another bike comes equipped that way to begin with, why choose the weaker, heavier, more difficult option and then have to swap the fork?

"When I see an adult on a bicycle, I do not despair for the future of the human race."
H.G. Wells