View Single Post
Old 08-20-2010, 04:30 PM
Custom 4-Stroke Bike Builder
Wink Re: Strengenthing my new cruiser

Originally Posted by Chalo View Post
I've seen the hokey finagling that folks use to mount motors on fat, oval, or tapered tubing. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but it's not cool.

The forks on those two cruisers came from mountain bikes. Thus they accommodate strong rim and hub brakes. But for the price of a new Surly fork and a disc brake setup to upgrade a Wal-cruiser, you could buy a complete old MTB, get good brakes included, and have an easier time setting up the motor mounts, racks, fenders, etc. And it would be stronger and lighter than a cruiser.

Not every cruiser is unsuitable for an motorized bicycle conversion, just like there are a lot of mountain bikes that aren't cut out for being MBs. But most of the junky cantilever frame bikes that people pick as platforms for their motor kits are problematic and crude.

Let's just say there are less mountain bikes suitable for motorizing than cruiser style bikes....does that sound right? Let's also say you are in the Cruiser forum bad mouthing cruisers....would that be correct?
This is not my thread, nor yours, so be respectful to the original poster of this thread and start your own. And just so you know, black 4-stroke $550 all brand 2-stroke $250 all brand new and both bikes are lighter and stronger than MOST! $20 used Surley forks on bahhh.
EZ Motorbike Dealer - San Diego, CA.
Nothing is out of my realm,
if it doesn't fit, make it fit! Beer is the answer....what was the question?
A sense of humor costs nothing, why don't people use them more often?
"You can't buy have to earn it"