View Single Post
Old 08-14-2010, 07:24 PM
Resident Mad Scientist
Default Re: Another new guy...

Originally Posted by Three-Wire View Post
Thanks for the sage advice... Cool avatar, too!

I've been searching craigslist and garage sales for cruisers for a while now without any success. Seems that folks in this part of the wold are pretty proud of their vintage bikes... Maybe I'm just not looking in the right places.

I've got a two-week window where I'll have free evenings to work on this project. Not one to be overly patient, I came home from town today with a Huffy Nel Lusso. Now to order the engine kit and research handle brakes... You're correct - I'm looking for a 2-stroke.

I live too far out in the country for a motorized bike to be practical transportation, and I don't expect my bike to get used on a daily basis but I like to tinker and build. This project will be my stress-reliever when I'm burned out from working on my airplane or my truck.
You have an airplane? How far out in the country do you live?

As for finding vintage bikes: sometimes it's just unmitigated luck too. I got my old JC Higgins for free because the people running the garage sale couldn't sell it at all. I can't wait to see it finished. The only way I'm able to take it slow is by remembering that I want it done right.

"There is nothing wrong with wanting a motorbike that is an extension of your personal taste and fashion sense; if you must ride somewhere, I say do it with style!"