View Single Post
Old 08-12-2010, 11:49 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: motorized bike version 2.0

Originally Posted by locell View Post
ok, I got my back wheel done. its the HD axle kit non-freewheel (it actually is freewheel but only because I put on a freewheel thread-on sprocket) I had the built by Jermey at I gave him the axle kit and he laced it into a wheel and tied & sodered the spokes. its a old school method to make a strong wheel. it cost me about 150 bucks. i had to spread the frame apart too to get the wheel to fit. i used some allthread to spread it out. the pics explain all
I got the motor mounted, and everything hooked up. im telling you that suspension makes a night and day difference. I can ride this further and faster than my non-suspension one for sure.

I was going to make a hockey puck motor mount but could not get it just how I wanted so i used some allen bolts and parts from my kit to make a soild mount, with the importance of the chain alignment etc, its probally best to have the motor solid anyways.

I used the 3-speed brake/shift combo lever for my clutch so that I cold have a lever on each grip for brakes. its weird because there is no way to "ease" the clutch into engagement but it just makes for a little different style of riding, I got used to it after a few blocks and it works well, seems to be more precise actually, on gear 3 the clutch is disengaged, on 2 its mainly disengaged and on 1 its totally engaged.

id like to not run a chain tensioner at all but i had to to make it work right, are there any tricks to not running a tensioner? I tried to use masterlinks and half links etc to position the chains so they they were both naturally tight, but i could not get them balanced, one was always too floppy
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010537.JPG (131.1 KB, 62 views)
File Type: jpg P1010538.JPG (107.0 KB, 44 views)
File Type: jpg P1010539.JPG (92.3 KB, 41 views)
File Type: jpg P1010540.JPG (47.1 KB, 42 views)

Last edited by locell; 08-13-2010 at 09:53 AM. Reason: pics