View Single Post
Old 07-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: "Bad Inve$tment" My first Cranbrook project

Hi Gary, welcome to the site.
NIce looking bike, you have a done a lot to it.
Originally Posted by hotrodgary62 View Post
Its a Huffy Cranbrook, I picked up the bike with the engine freshly installed on it for less than building a new one. When I paid the guy and loaded it up, I turned to my fiancee' and said, This is a bad investment lol, Hence the name! Since I got the bike, the chain broke, stuff fell off and I bought alot of fancy crap!
I love how you named it, kind of like how people name their boats.

I haven't seen a stock black cranbrook, mine was Champagne colored, did you paint it?
I replaced the tensioner with a new one I got from a guy on ebay, he made spring loaded, bearing/sprocket ones, I just used the bearing/sprocket on the original tensioner bracket, made the chain alot quieter and smoother!
Gary, Gary, Gary... You Don't NEED a Tensioner!
If drive side tensioners were a good thing, motorcycles would have them.
That link will help.
When you get to chain matching from the pedal side, pop the stock 18 tooth rear sprocket off and put a 20 tooth on first. You will find that not only is the bike easier to start, your crappy stock rear hub coaster brake magically works well enough to lay a nice 'J skid' ;-}
I got lights for it, which I have not figured the best way to hook those up yet? I have read about hooking it up to the engine, or I have the generator that runs on the tire. Ideas anyone?
The white engine wire is raw ~7.5 VAC but it varies by RPM.
With a diode and rechargeable NiCad batteries in a 6V light you can run that pulsed DC to it to charge the batteries while your ride, and the batteries will do the rest.
KC's Krusiers Builds