View Single Post
Old 07-27-2010, 06:43 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: A new shift concept for the engineers....

I've got my fingers crossed that this is going to work, you guys. I have admired the SBP shift kit for some time and think it is perfect for a multi speed bike with a derailleur. When I saw BarelyAWakes Rollfast build I was so enamored of what he had done... it just seemed to lift motorbicycling to another level. Where I live both here in Minnesota in the summer and in the mountains of northwestern Maryland in the winter it is hilly. With a coaster brake one speed there are places I can not ride without getting off and walking the bike. What a difference it would make to be able to shift to another gear and as Ferball said, if I had to stop the bike to change the gearing then I could live with that. It would be lots better on the fly of course, but it would make an old cruiser so much more versatile. And not just old cruisers, but say a Worksman which is the same thing but more recently made. Barely went through some money, time and careful fitting to make the SBP kit work on his vintage cruiser. It can be done, but not without dedication and kind of deep pockets. If you can make this setup work with a coaster brake un geared hub it will make solid old cruisers much more appealing to a wider range of riders. More guys would be riding on strong foundations.
Unlike Bairdco, I have no concern about something flying apart at 45 mph. I'd
never go that fast unless I went over the edge of a cliff. I promise that if you can make this work I'll baby it and kiss it into the next gear, never going over 30, never abusing it. I'm following this thread really closely.
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...