View Single Post
Old 07-26-2010, 08:04 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: What is the best bike to build to sell?

I've been giving this a lot of thought over the past year and at first there was the thought that I could have fun putting these things together and make some money at the same time. Then reality settles in when actual human beings become interested... not people you transact with in a dark alley in Gary, Indiana wearing a ski mask, but people you will see again in your local towns and maybe in your own neighborhood. Maybe a friend wants one and you start thinking about how it would be if they got hurt on a bike you built and sold. It kind of dampens the euphoria of a perfect little business churning out cheap bikes with cheap motors. So you start upgrading things with better frames and good wheels with better tires, upgrading the braking, making it so that the tensioner is not going to be a problem. Now the bikes cost more and are taking a lot longer to put together... so you have to get more for one or it makes no sense doing it. And there goes the quick turnover at a nice profit idea. I have a Chinese Huffy I bought at a yard sale last summer on which I put the cheapest ebay motor I could find. It looked really nice, all shiny and seven speed, cruiser tires... and I won't sell it, won't show it, don't want to ride it myself and am putting the motor on a real bike. The bike itself may yield some parts to use, but not much. My thinking has changed on this whole thing. I still like building and fabricating things, but I think now I'll sell my jewel lights and gas tanks, custom hand grips and things like that which I can be pretty sure aren't going to bring harm to anyone. I'll build a bike mostly to satisfy myself and price it according to what is in it in materials and time. If it sells, fine. If it doesn't that's OK, too. Even making just one bike a year with a sidecar is OK with a four stroke motor and bulletproof install so it doesn't come back to bite me later on. Maybe I'll become a dealer for good four stroke motors once I settle on one that satisfies my needs and which I know backwards and forwards. The only time I want to see a bike again which I built and sold is to go riding with the owner who has since become a friend.
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...