View Single Post
Old 07-23-2010, 03:53 AM
The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Default Re: Don't like coaster brakes?

Sorry to hear of the setbacks with the coaster brake conversion. I'm hoping it will work out for you and down the line for myself. And I share your enthusiasm for both saving some money and re-using old well made coaster brakes on an old timey build.
Old cruisers did not have front brakes. Most had no place to mount a later caliper brake, although front brake adapters were and still are available for the old Schwinns. V brakes would require some welding or a different fork... no longer vintage looking. A drum brake is often the answer, but for those of us on a budget it is an expensive one. A front disc brake gets even more complicated and expensive. For old non-Schwinns the only option reasonably priced is a drum brake. So that's the how come for me at least on being excited at the idea of this conversion.
As for the face plant, I don't see that happening. I don't do wild skids with my rear coaster brake and have no problem applying the force for a controlled stop. Clamp down hard on a disc brake up front and it has a lot of stopping power right now. So I don't buy that one.
And there's yet another reason. Making something out of nothing is fun.
Kevlar, thanks for the tip on heating up the hub. Good to know.
Someday when I grow up I will probably lose interest in toys with wheels, but until then...