View Single Post
Old 07-22-2010, 01:01 PM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Don't like coaster brakes?

Originally Posted by silverbear View Post
Bairdco and WayneC,
I want to learn from both of you how your are doing the coaster front brake. I think this is so neat and want to try it. WayneC, did you modify the innards of the hub? Maybe a new thread on how to do this modification could get put together, something to consolidate the information. This would be a good thing, I think.
No modification necessary on the Shimano110 hub. Bairdco linked to a post on doing the conversion
on his build thread. The hub that guy was using does require modification in that it rachets to reset from pedal to brake. The Shimano simply rotates or rocks back and forth and the spring does the resetting.
I don't know what the sprocket is made of. It's about a 40 year old hub off of an old Western Flyer. I wanted to drill it like baird has done to add an arm. I couldn't drill it for anything. Took it to a hardware store to get a drill bit that would go through and the helpful hardware dude offered to drill it for me. He broke his bit! I think it's made of Kryptonite! Anyway, wanting to keep it simple and use parts on hand I just used the chain as it was meant to be.
It wouldn't stand the bike on its nose, but it was good.
B, keep us posted on your progress, please. One thing I found. Use a brake lever with a lot of throw. Like an ATV clutch lever or some such. And the best cable you can find. If the cable is stretchy, the action won't be as good.

...I'm not saying we should just kill all the stupid people. Just do away with warning labels and let things sort themselves out.