View Single Post
Old 07-16-2010, 12:30 AM
Motorized Bicycle Elite Member
Default Re: Bike stolen Glendale, AZ 7/11/2010

Originally Posted by Patr1ck View Post
Is that the GT-1 from Grubee? How do you like it? Is the frame really that much heavier duty than a, lets say, standard Micargi beach cruiser?
Hi Pat,
I haven't tried the budget bike you mention but the Grubee GT1 is heavy duty.
I have some of a topic about it here
I have a bunch more info I haven't gotten around to posting here yet but I will.

In short however the frame, hubs and wheels are top notch.
You don't need any fancy mounting for the motor, and with just a little shimming you don't need any chain tensioner's either, which is nice on the hub mounted sprocket it comes with.
The front shocks work well and overall frame wise a perfect bike.

Handlebar controls wise it's another story.
The metal mounting throttle with dual pull brake lever is a nice touch with a caveat...
It is not a Teeter-Totter balanced pull lever, and both cables go to the back brakes, one of which is the drum brake that so far seems useless to me.

It comes with those hard rubber grips on and the front brake lever on the left.
Well, it still needs a clutch lever put on so that left grip need come off, and two levers on that left side is not (after ~50 miles on it) very good.

I just cut those hard plastic things off both side and use foam BMX racing grips, they will stretch over the throttle barrel too.

I am going to re-cable it's brakes tomorrow and put the front and rear V-brakes on the right dual pull, and use the left lever for the drum brake if I can make it work as a sort of emergency brake with the lever offset from the clutch and dual pull front/rear brake levers orientation.

My point is with such a nice bike, it's a shame they didn't put a little more thought into the handlebar controls.
There is no way to build the thing without at least removing the left grip, so why put it on?
And besides the seat, the first thing you feel are the controls.

To me ease of operation and comfort rate pretty high. I just don't have the reflexes and endurance I had a decade or three ago ;-}

I can't dispute the frame/hub/wheel and fit quality, I am just withholding my final judgment until I make the brakes work to my satisfaction.
KC's Krusiers Builds